Tuesday, September 26, 2006

I can't remember when I first began to receive the Fenceberry articles. It became such a part of my daily life that I thought it was always there. It gave a gay news junkie like myself all I needed in order to be informed as well as the tools to fight back.
And while we never met personally, I would send a note of thanks periodically to Aleta and Jean. The hard work of an unpaid volunteer is rarely thanked. Surprisingly, I would get a note back. I felt like part of the Fenceberry family. That led to holiday greetings and other notes, updating each other on our lives. I understood why the Fenceberry articles needed to stop. What didn't stop was the periodic notes and the bond of friendship.
My heart aches upon learning of Aleta's death. She is at peace, smiling down upon us. She did so much for so many. She will be sorely missed by uncountable numbers around the world. Think of her when you see a rainbow in the sky. Her legacy will live on.
"To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die." [Thomas Campbell]
Wayne Steinman
Staten Island, NY

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home